Christ's First Presbyterian ca.1907
Christ's First Presbyterian ca.1907

Exterior view of Christ's First Presbyterian Church on Fulton Avenue. Building later demolished and new building erected on corner of Washington Street and Nichols Court. Picture courtesy of link below

Christ's First Presbyterian Present
Christ's First Presbyterian Present

West Wing of Christ's First Presbyterian Church

Christ's First Presbyterian ca.1907
Christ's First Presbyterian ca.1907

Exterior view of Christ's First Presbyterian Church on Fulton Avenue. Building later demolished and new building erected on corner of Washington Street and Nichols Court. Picture courtesy of link below

1/3

HISTORY OF OUR CHURCH

        The history of Christ's First Presbyterian Church is closely identified with the history of Hempstead. In 1643, the Rev. Robert Fordham and John Carman found a suitable location for settlement here and purchased land from the Native Americans. Families came to settle the next year. They received a patent from the Dutch governor of the New Netherlands and the church was organized under Rev. Richard Denton. Rev. Denton had first settled in the Massachusetts May Colony, but left for Weathersfield, Connecticut in 1635 in order to practice Presbyterianism. Later, he and his followers came to Long Island for religious reasons. They established Christ's First Presbyterian Church in 1644. It is one of the oldest Presbyterian Churches in the country.


Please visit the Hempstead Library across our church on Nichols Court to find more information about this church.