HISTORY OF OUR CHURCH

        The history of Christ's First Presbyterian Church is closely identified with the history of Hempstead. In 1643, the Rev. Robert Fordham and John Carman found a suitable location for settlement here and purchased land from the Native Americans. Families came to settle the next year. They received a patent from the Dutch governor of the New Netherlands and the church was organized under Rev. Richard Denton. Rev. Denton had first settled in the Massachusetts May Colony, but left for Weathersfield, Connecticut in 1635 in order to practice Presbyterianism. Later, he and his followers came to Long Island for religious reasons. They established Christ's First Presbyterian Church in 1644. It is one of the oldest Presbyterian Churches in the country.


Please visit the Hempstead Library across our church on Nichols Court to find more information about this church.

Call us:

(516) 292-1644 

          or

(516) 292 0287

Fax:

(516) 292 1548

Location:

353 Fulton Avenue Hempstead, NY, 11550

© 2015 by Christs First Presbyterian Church